01 September 2011

pH Risotto

Yes a little bit of a geeky title but I am married to an awesome nerd!

This risotto dish has been adapted from a recipe out of one of my Mum's amazing Italian cookbook's (I'll post the title here later). It always reminds me of family and definitely not of our 'catch and kill your own' nights - I'll save that for another post ha-ha.

This was an after work cook-up so there aren't as many photos and I did forget to get a photo of all the ingredients WHOOPS!



Ingredients
  • 6tbsp butter
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cups boiling chicken stock
  • 2/3 cup white wine
  • 1.5 cups arborio rice
  • 2 cups frozen peas
  • 1+ cups spinach (as much as you want remember it will wilt)
  • Ham (I used 2 of those sandwhich packs which resulted in a lot of ham so you could probably just use 1 large pack)
Method

1. Melt 4tbsp butter until foaming in a large pan and then add the onion stirring for roughly 3 minutes. (Make sure you've got your stock simmering away at this point!)
2. Add the rice and keep stirring until the grains start to burst then add the white wine. Stir until the wine is almost gone and then commence pouring the stock in little by little.*** Also add salt & pepper to taste.
3. Add frozen peas and spinach towards the end.
4. When the peas are pretty much done add the ham and remaining butter.
5. Serve with parmesan if like me you have a cheese hater in the family otherwise stir the parmesan in when you're putting in the ham and butter!

Serves 4 (or 2 people with lots of leftovers). It provided me with dinner and then lunch for the next 2 days which I always like.

***this is where I get angry at the book what is a little?! I wouldn't recommend just using a ladle which I did because it took me over an hour to cook this and after a long day at work that's not fun. I'd do 1/2 cup if not a full cup but entirely up to you and how much you love slaving over an oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment